Saturday, January 12, 2013

Taking a break from the practice of law

Weekends provide an opportunity for busy attorneys and associates to take a break and bring balance to their lives. Saturdays for me are really the only chance I get to spend quality time with my wife and 4 year old and 1 year old daughters.

This is a big issues for people in my position. In one hand I want to work hard and excel as a lawyer; to make my bosses and clients happy. On the other hand I need to be a good husband and father. Balancing these two aspects of who I am is probably the hardest thing I have to do. Much harder than making a case to a jury or responding to a difficult motion for summary judgment.

So how do I do it? Well, I don't know. I struggle with this issue every day I go to work. I try to get to work early as I can and stay as late as possible. This usually leaves me with less than two hours a day to see my kids. (I get home at around 7 and they go to bed at 8:30). It's Saturday and Sunday that I have to maximize time with my kids. Saturday and Sunday when I'm taking a break from the practice of law.

So I'm off now to play games with my kids get a good night sleep and make the most of my Sunday with Isabel and Norah and my great wife Donna.

Later all. Dory. Dory@hgsklawyers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment